Alekos Theologis, MD
Alekos Theologis, MD
Parnassus Heights - Spine
Orthopaedic Institute - Spine
Redwood Shores Specialty Care Clinic
290 Redwood Shores Parkway
Redwood City CA 94065
Redwood City CA 94065
Berkeley Outpatient Center - Spine
- Samtani RG, Webb A, Burleson J, Berven S, Theologis A, Abotsi E, Burch S, Deviren V, Haddas R. Spine Surgeons Social Dilemma: Benefits and Risks of Social Media for Spine Surgery Practice in the 21st Century. Global Spine J. 2021 Aug 03; 21925682211035716. PMID: 34342239
- Cummins D, Hindoyan K, Wu HH, Theologis AA, Callahan M, Tay B, Berven S. Reoperation and Mortality Rates Following Elective 1 to 2 Level Lumbar Fusion: A Large State Database Analysis. Global Spine J. 2021 Jan 21; 2192568220986148. PMID: 33472423
- Moon HJ, Bridwell KH, Theologis AA, Kelly MP, Lertudomphonwanit T, Lenke LG, Gupta MC. Thoracolumbar Junction Orientation: A Novel Guide for Sagittal Correction and Proximal Junctional Kyphosis Prediction in Adult Spinal Deformity Patients. Neurosurgery. 2020 12 15; 88(1):55-62. PMID: 32761200
- Theologis AA, Gupta MC. The "Rail Technique" for Correction of Cervicothoracic Kyphosis: Case Report and Surgical Technique Description. Neurospine. 2020 Sep; 17(3):652-658. PMID: 33022170
- Lertudomphonwanit T, Bridwell KH, Kelly MP, Punyarat P, Theologis A, Sides BA, Gupta MC. Relationship of the character of rod fractures on outcomes following long thoracolumbar fusion to the sacrum for adult spinal deformity. Spine J. 2020 09; 20(9):1452-1463. PMID: 32502653
- Agha O, Mueller-Immergluck A, Liu M, Zhang H, Theologis AA, Clark A, Kim HT, Liu X, Feeley BT, Bailey JF. Intervertebral disc herniation effects on multifidus muscle composition and resident stem cell populations. JOR Spine. 2020 Jun; 3(2):e1091. PMID: 32613166
- Brown AE, Saleh H, Naessig S, Pierce KE, Ahmad W, Bortz CA, Alas H, Chern I, Vasquez-Montes D, Ihejirika RC, Segreto FA, Haskel J, Kaplan DJ, Diebo BG, Gerling MC, Paulino CB, Theologis A, Lafage V, Janjua MB, Passias PG. Readmission in elective spine surgery: Will short stays be beneficial to patients. J Clin Neurosci. 2020 Aug; 78:170-174. PMID: 32360160
- Adogwa O, Buchowski JM, Sielatycki JA, Shlykov MA, Theologis AA, Lin J, CreveCoeur T, Peters C, Riew KD. Improvements in Neck Pain and Disability Following C1-C2 Posterior Cervical Instrumentation and Fusion for Atlanto-Axial Osteoarthritis. World Neurosurg. 2020 07; 139:e496-e500. PMID: 32311554
- Theologis AA, Smith J, Kerstein M, Gregory JR, Luhmann SJ. Normative Data of Pulmonary Function Tests and Radiographic Measures of Chest Development in Children Without Spinal Deformity: Is a T1-T12 Height of 22 cm Adequate? Spine Deform. 2019 11; 7(6):857-864. PMID: 31731994
- Moon HJ, Bridwell KH, Theologis AA, Kelly MP, Lertudomphonwanit T, Kim HJ, Lenke LG, Gupta MC. Thoracolumbar junction orientation: its impact on thoracic kyphosis and sagittal alignment in both asymptomatic volunteers and symptomatic patients. Eur Spine J. 2019 Sep; 28(9):1937-1947. PMID: 31342155
- Theologis AA, Iyer S, Lenke LG, Sides BA, Kim HJ, Kelly MP. Cervical and Cervicothoracic Sagittal Alignment According to Roussouly Thoracolumbar Subtypes. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2019 Jun 01; 44(11):E634-E639. PMID: 30475347
- Bahney CS, Zondervan RL, Allison P, Theologis A, Ashley JW, Ahn J, Miclau T, Marcucio RS, Hankenson KD. Cellular biology of fracture healing. J Orthop Res. 2019 01; 37(1):35-50. PMID: 30370699
- Theologis AA, Burch S, Pekmezci M. Placement of iliosacral screws using 3D image-guided (O-Arm) technology and Stealth Navigation: comparison with traditional fluoroscopy. Bone Joint J. 2016 May; 98-B(5):696-702. PMID: 27143744
- Mcdonald E, Theologis AA, Horst P, Kandemir U, Pekmezci M. When do anterior external or internal fixators provide additional stability in an unstable (Tile C) pelvic fracture? A biomechanical study. Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2015 Dec; 41(6):665-71. PMID: 26038006
- Hsieh M, Lee D, Panigone S, Horner K, Chen R, Theologis A, Lee DC, Threadgill DW, Conti M. Luteinizing hormone-dependent activation of the epidermal growth factor network is essential for ovulation. Mol Cell Biol. 2007 Mar; 27(5):1914-24. PMID: 17194751
- Cummins D, Callahan M, Clark AJ, Theologis AA. Lower Neurological Risk with Anterior Operations Compared to Posterior Operations for Thoracic Disc Herniations: Analysis of 697 Patients. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2022 Feb 01; 47(3):E94-E100. PMID: 34381003
- Hung NJ, Theologis AA, Courtier JL, Harmon D, Diab M. Ureteral injury following anterior thoracolumbar spinal instrumented fusion for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a case report with CT angiography analysis of surgically relevant anatomy. Spine Deform. 2021 11; 9(6):1691-1698. PMID: 34075563
- Theologis AA, Lertudomphonwanit T, Lenke LG, Bridwell KH, Gupta MC. The role of the fractional lumbosacral curve in persistent coronal malalignment following adult thoracolumbar deformity surgery: a radiographic analysis. Spine Deform. 2021 05; 9(3):721-731. PMID: 33651338
- Theologis AA, Lau D, Dalle-Ore C, Tsu A, Deviren V, Ames CP. Costs and utility of post-discharge acute inpatient rehabilitation following adult spinal deformity surgery. Spine Deform. 2021 05; 9(3):817-822. PMID: 33400227
- Bonano J, Cummins DD, Burch S, Berven SH, Deviren V, Ames CP, Tay B, Clark AJ, Theologis AA. Economic Impact of Revision Operations for Adjacent Segment Disease of the Subaxial Cervical Spine. J Am Acad Orthop Surg Glob Res Rev. 2022 04 01; 6(4). PMID: 35452424
- Cummins DD, Callahan M, Scheffler A, Theologis AA. 5-Year Revision Rates After Elective Multilevel Lumbar/Thoracolumbar Instrumented Fusions in Older Patients: An Analysis of State Databases. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2022 May 15; 30(10):476-483. PMID: 35196291
- Taliaferro K, Rao A, Theologis AA, Cummins D, Callahan M, Berven SH. Rates and risk factors associated with 30- and 90-day readmissions and reoperations after spinal fusions for adult lumbar degenerative pathology and spinal deformity. Spine Deform. 2022 05; 10(3):625-637. PMID: 34846718
- Cummins D, Georgiou S, Burch S, Tay B, Berven SH, Ames CP, Deviren V, Clark AJ, Theologis AA. RAPT score and preoperative factors to predict discharge location following adult spinal deformity surgery. Spine Deform. 2022 05; 10(3):639-646. PMID: 34773631
- Mendelis JR, Hung NJ, Deviren V, Ames CP, Clark AJ, Theologis AA. Proximal Junctional Spondylodiscitis Following Adult Spinal Deformity Surgery: Case Series and Review of the Literature. Int J Spine Surg. 2022 Jul 13. PMID: 35831064
- Buren MA, Theologis A, Zuraek A, Behrends M, Clark AJ, Leung JM. Lidocaine Infusion for the Management of Postoperative Pain and Delirium (LIMPP): protocol for a randomised control trial. BMJ Open. 2022 06 06; 12(6):e059416. PMID: 35667730
- Stroud SG, Geiger EJ, Lichtensztajn DY, Goldsby RE, Cheng I, Wustrack R, Theologis AA. Survival of Patients With Primary Osseous Malignancies of the Mobile Spine Is Associated With Access to "Standard Treatment" Protocols. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2022 Sep 01; 30(17):841-850. PMID: 35507547
- 2014 Most Outstanding Paper Award from The Spine Journal
2014 Most Outstanding Paper Award from The Spine Journal
- California Orthopaedic Association's J. Harold LaBriola, M.D. Resident Award
California Orthopaedic Association's J. Harold LaBriola, M.D. Resident Award
- Northern California Orthopaedic Society's Resident Research Award
Northern California Orthopaedic Society's Resident Research Award
- UCSF Clinical & Translational Science Institute's Outstanding Resident Research Award
UCSF Clinical & Translational Science Institute's Outstanding Resident Research Award
|Residency||University of California San Francisco||2017|
|M.D.||University of California San Francisco||2011|
About Alekos Theologis, MD
As a member of the UCSF Spine Center, Dr. Alekos Theologis, MD, is a American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) certified orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in the treatment of a wide-range of complex primary and revision spinal disorders for both children and adults, which include cervical myelopathy, cervicothoracic kyphosis, adult scoliosis, lumbar stenosis, spondylolisthesis, failed back syndrome, and tumors. Providing passionate and comprehensive patient care, Dr. Theologis actively engages in the development of new technologies, clinical and biomechanical research, and the latest advancements in perioperative pain management and surgical reconstruction.
Dr. Theologis’ research interests include: perioperative management and risk assessment, revision surgery and the management of complications after spine surgery, health policy, global health, and educating the next generation of medical students and residents.
Dr. Theologis graduated with a B.S. in Biological Sciences and Chemistry from Stanford University. He attended medical school at the University of California - San Francisco, where he also completed his residency in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, serving as chief resident in his final year.
During this time, Dr. Theologis received local and national awards for research including: the J. Harold LaBriola, M.D. Resident Award for the most outstanding resident paper in orthopaedic research; the Northern California Orthopaedic Society Resident Research Award for best clinical paper; the 2014 Most Outstanding Paper in The Spine Journal; and the UCSF CTSI Outstanding Resident Research Award. Dr. Theologis also completed a Health Volunteers Overseas Orthopaedics Traveling Fellowship in Ghana during which he trained surgeons and operated on patients with severe spinal deformities.
Following his residency at UCSF, Dr. Theologis completed one of the most prestigious adult and pediatric clinical fellowships in spine surgery at Washington University in St. Louis during which he trained broadly and comprehensively under the tutelage of neurosurgeons and orthopaedic surgeons.
Dr. Theologis’ clinics will be at four locations: the UCSF Spine Center on the Parnassus Campus, the UCSF Orthopedic Institute and the Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, both state-of- the-art facilities located at the UCSF Mission Bay campus in San Francisco, and the newly opened UCSF Berkeley Outpatient Clinic in Berkeley.
For more information or to make an appointment: 415-353-2739.