Stephanie Wong, MD
Stephanie Wong, MD
Orthopaedic Institute - Sports Medicine
1500 Owens Street
San Francisco CA 94158
San Francisco CA 94158
Berkeley Outpatient Center - Sports Medicine
3100 San Pablo Avenue
Berkeley CA 94707
Berkeley CA 94707
- Julian KR, Anand M, Sobel AD, Mulcahey MK, Wong SE. A 5-Year Update and Comparison of Factors Related to the Sex Diversity of Orthopaedic Residency Programs in the United States. JB JS Open Access. 2023 Jan-Mar; 8(1). PMID: 36896147
- Wilson J, Agha O, Wiggins AJ, Diaz A, Jones KJ, Feeley BT, Pandya NK, Wong SE. Gender and Racial Diversity Among the Head Medical and Athletic Training Staff of Women's Professional Sports Leagues. Orthop J Sports Med. 2023 Feb; 11(2):23259671221150447. PMID: 36846816
- Huddleston HP, Cregar WM, Alzein MM, Vadhera AS, Wong SE, Yanke AB. Outcomes of Patellar Subchondroplasty Surgery: A Case Series. J Knee Surg. 2022 Jul 28. PMID: 35901796
- Oeding JF, Alrabaa R, Wong SE, Zhang AL, Feeley B, Ma CB, Lansdown DA. Complications and re-operations after extensor mechanism repair surgery in a large cross-sectional cohort: females and tobacco-users at highest risk for adverse outcomes. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2023 Feb; 31(2):455-463. PMID: 35841396
- Hartwell MJ, Soriano KKJ, Nguyen TQ, Monroe EJ, Wong SE, Zhang AL. Patient-Reported Outcome Surveys for Femoroacetabular Impingement Syndrome Demonstrate Strong Correlations, High Minimum Clinically Important Difference Agreement and Large Ceiling Effects. Arthroscopy. 2022 10; 38(10):2829-2836. PMID: 35367302
- Wong SE, Cogan CJ, Zhang AL. Physical Examination of the Hip: Assessment of Femoroacetabular Impingement, Labral Pathology, and Microinstability. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2022 Apr; 15(2):38-52. PMID: 35171468
- Walsh JM, Huddleston HP, Alzein MM, Wong SE, Forsythe B, Verma NN, Cole BJ, Yanke AB. The Minimal Clinically Important Difference, Substantial Clinical Benefit, and Patient-Acceptable Symptomatic State after Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Reconstruction. Arthrosc Sports Med Rehabil. 2022 Apr; 4(2):e661-e678. PMID: 35494257
- Hung NJ, Wong SE. Gender Influences on Shoulder Arthroplasty. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2022 Feb; 15(1):21-26. PMID: 34982405
- Wong SE, Newhouse AC, Wichman DM, Bessa F, Williams J, Nho SJ. Patients With a High Femoroepiphyseal Roof With Concomitant Borderline Hip Dysplasia and Femoroacetabular Impingement Syndrome Do Not Demonstrate Inferior Outcomes Following Arthroscopic Hip Surgery. Arthroscopy. 2022 05; 38(5):1509-1515. PMID: 34710573
- Kucirek NK, Hung NJ, Wong SE. Treatment Options for Massive Irreparable Rotator Cuff Tears. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2021 Oct; 14(5):304-315. PMID: 34581991
- Maheshwer B, Wong SE, Polce EM, Paul K, Forsythe B, Bush-Joseph C, Bach BR, Yanke AB, Cole BJ, Verma NN, Chahla J. Establishing the Minimal Clinically Important Difference and Patient-Acceptable Symptomatic State After Arthroscopic Meniscal Repair and Associated Variables for Achievement. Arthroscopy. 2021 12; 37(12):3479-3486. PMID: 33964390
- Cregar WM, Huddleston HP, Wong SE, Farr J, Yanke AB. Inconsistencies in Reporting Risk Factors for Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Reconstruction Failure: A Systematic Review. Am J Sports Med. 2022 Mar; 50(3):867-877. PMID: 33914648
- Cevallos N, Soriano KKJ, Flores SE, Wong SE, Lansdown DA, Zhang AL. Hip Arthroscopy Volume and Reoperations in a Large Cross-Sectional Population: High Rate of Subsequent Revision Hip Arthroscopy in Young Patients and Total Hip Arthroplasty in Older Patients. Arthroscopy. 2021 12; 37(12):3445-3454.e1. PMID: 33901509
- Gilat R, Wong SE, Lavoie-Gagne O, Haunschild ED, Knapik DM, Fu MC, Chahla J, Forsythe B, Cole BJ. Outcomes are comparable using free bone block autografts versus allografts for the management of anterior shoulder instability with glenoid bone loss: a systematic review and meta-analysis of "The Non-Latarjet". Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2021 Jul; 29(7):2159-2174. PMID: 32749510
- Wong SE, Friedman LGM, Garrigues GE. Arthroscopic Latarjet: Indications, Techniques, and Results. Arthroscopy. 2020 08; 36(8):2044-2046. PMID: 32534003
- Huddleston HP, Cohn MR, Haunschild ED, Wong SE, Farr J, Yanke AB. Amniotic Product Treatments: Clinical and Basic Science Evidence. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2020 Apr; 13(2):148-154. PMID: 32076938
- Wong SE, Feeley BT, Pandya NK. Complications After Pediatric ACL Reconstruction: A Meta-analysis. J Pediatr Orthop. 2019 Sep; 39(8):e566-e571. PMID: 31393290
- Wong SE, Feeley BT, Pandya NK. Comparing Outcomes Between the Over-the-Top and All-Epiphyseal Techniques for Physeal-Sparing ACL Reconstruction: A Narrative Review. Orthop J Sports Med. 2019 Mar; 7(3):2325967119833689. PMID: 30944841
- Wong SE, Colley AK, Pitcher AA, Zhang AL, Ma CB, Feeley BT. Mental health, preoperative disability, and postoperative outcomes in patients undergoing shoulder arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2018 Sep; 27(9):1580-1587. PMID: 29798822
- Wong SE, Pitcher AA, Ding DY, Cashman N, Zhang AL, Ma CB, Feeley BT. The effect of patient gender on outcomes after reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2017 Nov; 26(11):1889-1896. PMID: 28911814
- Wong SE, Zhang AL, Berliner JL, Ma CB, Feeley BT. Preoperative patient-reported scores can predict postoperative outcomes after shoulder arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2016 Jun; 25(6):913-9. PMID: 27039669
- Giza E, Shin EC, Wong SE, Acevedo JI, Mangone PG, Olson K, Anderson MJ. Arthroscopic suture anchor repair of the lateral ligament ankle complex: a cadaveric study. Am J Sports Med. 2013 Nov; 41(11):2567-72. PMID: 23982396
- Giza E, Mak W, Wong SE, Roper G, Campanelli V, Hunter JC. A clinical and radiological study of peroneal tendon pathology. Foot Ankle Spec. 2013 Dec; 6(6):417-21. PMID: 23966263
- Furie K, Park AL, Wong SE. Mental Health and Involuntary Retirement from Sports Post-Musculoskeletal Injury in Adult Athletes: a Systematic Review. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2023 Apr 04. PMID: 37014610
- Park AL, Furie K, Wong SE. Stronger Athlete Identity Is a Risk Factor for More Severe Depressive Symptoms After Musculoskeletal Injury in Pediatric Athletes: a Systematic Review. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2023 Mar 30. PMID: 36991172
- Oeding JF, Alrabaa R, Wong SE, Zhang AL, Feeley B, Ma CB, Lansdown DA. Correction to: Complications and re‑operations after extensor mechanism repair surgery in a large cross‑sectional cohort: females and tobacco‑users at highest risk for adverse outcomes. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2023 Feb; 31(2):464. PMID: 35970948
|University of California San Francisco||06/2019|
|M.D.||University of California Davis||05/2014|
|B.S.||University of California Los Angeles||12/2009|
About Stephanie Wong, MD
Dr. Stephanie Wong is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon with subspecialty training in sports medicine and hip arthroscopy. She specializes in the arthroscopic treatment of hip, shoulder, and knee injuries. Her clinical expertise includes hip labral tears, FAI (femoroacetabular impingement), and gluteal tendon tears, and hamstring injuries. In the knee and shoulder, she treats a variety of conditions including ACL injuries, meniscus tears, knee cartilage issues, shoulder instability, and rotator cuff tears. Her goals are to help her patients return to the lifestyle and activities they enjoy.
Dr. Wong has experience in caring for athletes of all skill levels and ages. She has served as the team physician for high school football teams in the Bay Area and Chicago, as well as an assistant team physician for the Chicago White Sox, Chicago Bulls, and Chicago Steel hockey team.
She has published numerous research articles, including studies on ACL injuries, rotator cuff tears, and outcomes after shoulder replacement surgery. Her interests include patient-reported outcomes research to guide decision-making about surgery. One of her passions is inspiring young women to pursue careers in orthopaedic surgery and medicine.
Dr. Wong graduated cum laude from University of California Los Angeles with a bachelor’s degree in physiological science. She earned her medical degree with Alpha Omega Alpha honors from the University of California Davis School of Medicine. She completed orthopaedic surgery residency training at the University of California San Francisco, where she received the UCSF Great Experience Award for going above and beyond to create wonderful experiences and excellent care for patients and their families. Following residency, she recently completed an Orthopaedic Surgery Sports Medicine Fellowship at Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush University in Chicago.
Fluent in conversational Cantonese, Dr. Wong grew up in San Ramon and Danville, CA. She enjoys skiing and exploring national parks.
Dr. Wong will be seeing patients at both the UCSF Orthopaedic Institute on the Mission Bay campus in San Francisco and at the Berkeley Outpatient Center.