Aenor Sawyer, MD
- Appa A, Chamie G, Sawyer A, Baltzell K, Dippell K, Ribeiro S, Duarte E, Vinden J, Consortium C, Kramer-Feldman J, Rahdari S, MacIntosh D, Nicholson K, Im J, Havlir D, Greenhouse B. SARS-CoV-2 PCR and antibody testing for an entire rural community: methods and feasibility of high-throughput testing procedures. Arch Public Health. 2021 Jul 07; 79(1):125. PMID: 34233752
- Appa A, Takahashi S, Rodriguez-Barraquer I, Chamie G, Sawyer A, Duarte E, Hakim J, Turcios K, Vinden J, Janson O, Manglik A, Peluso MJ, Deeks SG, Henrich TJ, Torres L, Rodgers M, Hackett J, Chiu C, Havlir D, Greenhouse B. Universal Polymerase Chain Reaction and Antibody Testing Demonstrate Little to No Transmission of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 in a Rural Community. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2021 Jan; 8(1):ofaa531. PMID: 34109255
- Baumann AP, O'Neill C, Owens MC, Weber SC, Sivan S, D'Amico R, Carmody S, Bini S, Sawyer AJ, Lotz JC, Goel V, Dmitriev AE. FDA public workshop: Orthopaedic sensing, measuring, and advanced reporting technology (SMART) devices. J Orthop Res. 2021 01; 39(1):22-29. PMID: 32827329
- Appa A, Takahashi S, Rodriguez-Barraquer I, Chamie G, Sawyer A, Consortium C, Duarte E, Hakim J, Turcios K, Vinden J, Janson O, Manglik A, Peluso MJ, Deeks SG, Henrich TJ, Torres L, Rodgers M, Hackett J, Chiu C, Havlir D, Greenhouse B. Universal PCR and antibody testing demonstrate little to no transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in a rural community. medRxiv. 2020 Aug 17. PMID: 32839781
- Appa A, Chamie G, Sawyer A, Baltzell K, Dippel K, Ribeiro S, Duarte E, Vinden J, Consortium C, Kramer-Feldman J, Rahdari S, MacIntosh D, Nicholson K, Im J, Havlir D, Greenhouse B. SARS-CoV-2 PCR and antibody testing for an entire rural community: methods and feasibility of high-throughput testing procedures. medRxiv. 2020 May 30. PMID: 32511482
- Gary E. Strangman, Aenor Sawyer, Kristin M. Fabre, Emmanuel Urquieta, James Hury, Jimmy Wu, Andrew Peterman, Jeff Hoffman, Dorit Donoviel. Deep Space Applications for Point-of-Care Technologies. Current Opinion in Biomedical Engineering. 2019 Sep 1; 11:45-50. PMID:
- Minkowitz B, Sawyer A, Fung EB, Dvorzhinskiy A, Lane JM. The Answer is Vitamin D! From Pediatrics to Geriatrics in Orthopaedics. Instr Course Lect. 2018 Feb 15; 67:529-541. PMID: 31411437
- Lansdown DA, Whitaker A, Wustrack R, Sawyer A, Hansen EN. A Resident-led Initiative Improves Screening and Treatment for Vitamin D Deficiency in Patients with Hip Fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017 Jan; 475(1):264-270. PMID: 27549989
- M. Zulf Mughal, Amanda T. Whitaker, Aenor J. Sawyer. Evaluation of Fracture Without Known Trauma: Use of DXA in Differential Diagnosis. Bone Health Assessment in Pediatrics. 2016 Jan 1; 267-283. PMID:
- Maria Luisa Bianchi, Aenor J. Sawyer, Laura K. Bachrach. Rationale for Bone Health Assessment in Childhood and Adolescence. Bone Health Assessment in Pediatrics. 2016 Jan 1; 1-21. PMID:
- Wolf JM, Cannada LK, Lane JM, Sawyer AJ, Ladd AL. A comprehensive overview of osteoporotic fracture treatment. Instr Course Lect. 2015; 64:25-36. PMID: 25745892
- Andrea Hacker, Janet King, Marta Van Loan, Erik Gertz, Mickye Adams, Aenor Sawyer, Ellen Fung. Calcium supplementation during pregnancy improves tibial bone density at one year post-partum in racially diverse women (250.3). The FASEB Journal. 2014 Apr 1; 28. PMID:
- Lionel N. Metz, Derek Thomas Ward, Aenor J. Sawyer. Infectious and Inflammatory Diseases Affecting the Young Athlete’s Spine. Spinal Injuries and Conditions in Young Athletes. 2014 Jan 1; 181-198. PMID:
- Schairer WW, Carrer A, Deviren V, Hu SS, Takemoto S, Mummaneni P, Chou D, Ames C, Burch S, Tay B, Sawyer A, Berven SH. Hospital readmission after spine fusion for adult spinal deformity. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Sep 01; 38(19):1681-9. PMID: 23698572
- Fung EB, Gariepy CA, Sawyer AJ, Higa A, Vichinsky EP. The effect of whole body vibration therapy on bone density in patients with thalassemia: a pilot study. Am J Hematol. 2012 Oct; 87(10):E76-9. PMID: 22886910
- Metz LN, Wustrack R, Lovell AF, Sawyer AJ. Infectious, inflammatory, and metabolic diseases affecting the athlete's spine. Clin Sports Med. 2012 Jul; 31(3):535-67. PMID: 22658001
- Ellen B Fung, Kathryn N Reget, Drucilla Haines, Aenor Sawyer, Ashutosh Lal. Exploring Vertebral Height Deficits in Patients with Thalassemia and Sickle Cell Disease,. Blood. 2011 Nov 18; 118(21):3198-3198. PMID:
- Fung EB, Vichinsky EP, Kwiatkowski JL, Huang J, Bachrach LK, Sawyer AJ, Zemel BS. Characterization of low bone mass in young patients with thalassemia by DXA, pQCT and markers of bone turnover. Bone. 2011 Jun 01; 48(6):1305-12. PMID: 21443975
- E.B. Fung, J. Kwiatkowski, J. Huang, A. Sawyer, B.S. Zemel, E. Vichinsky. Characterization of bone deficits in young patients with thalassemia. Bone. 2009 Jul 1; 45:s66. PMID:
- Nicholas J. Bishop, Aenor J. Sawyer, Mary B. Leonard. Looking to the Future of Pediatric Bone Densitometry. Bone Densitometry in Growing Patients. 2007 Jan 1; 173-178. PMID:
- Aenor J. Sawyer, Laura K. Bachrach. Rationale for Bone Densitometry in Childhood and Adolescence. Bone Densitometry in Growing Patients. 2007 Jan 1; 1-13. PMID:
- Plotkin H, Sawyer A, Bachrach L. Mind your T's and Z's. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003 Jul; 85(7):1390-1. PMID: 12851367
- Sawyer A, Moore S, Fielding KT, Nix DA, Kiratli J, Bachrach LK. Calcaneus ultrasound measurements in a convenience sample of healthy youth. J Clin Densitom. 2001; 4(2):111-20. PMID: 11477304
- Woolson ST, Hartford JM, Sawyer A. Results of a method of leg-length equalization for patients undergoing primary total hip replacement. J Arthroplasty. 1999 Feb; 14(2):159-64. PMID: 10065720
|M.D.||University of California Davis||1993|
About Aenor Sawyer, MD
Dr. , a Clinician Innovator, has more than two decades of Health Technology experience in development and evaluation of device, digital health, and informatics solutions and has a decade of experience in medical care in extreme remote environments. She is the Chief Health Innovation Officer for the NASA-funded Translational Research Institute for Space Health (TRISH) and Founder/Director of the UCSF/UC Space Health Innovation Center.
At UCSF Dr. guides development and translation of novel technologies. She is on the UCSF IT Governance Committee. Dr. is co-founder of the UCSF Center for Digital Health Innovation where she was Assoc. Director of Strategic Relations and leader of CTSI Catalyst Digital Health track. She served on UCOP's Governance Committee for Telehealth, the UCSF Telemedicine Committee and a member of the NIH CTSA Telehealth TSIG. She co-founded a HIPAA-secure virtual tumor board platform (Trinity) and a safe independent mobility device for fall prevention (Mobius). She founded the Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery HealthTech committee which contributes to digitization strategies in the department. She is Faculty Advisor to UCSF's Health Tech Interest Group (HTIG) and teaches the annual Health Tech Elective.
National and international roles include Health Technology Advisory Board Chair for Murdoch Children's Research Institute in Melbourne Australia, the External Advisory Board of the Scripps Translational Sciences Institute and Assoc Editor of Natures Digital Med Journal, and Founding Board Member of NODE Health, and the Global Health Advisory Board of Cisco Dr. has been an advisor to health tech incubators and start ups. Dr. has over a decade of experience in remote medical management in extreme environments such as transoceanic rowing. She was the Medical Director for transoceanic rowers the Great Pacific Race rowers leveraging remote communications and sensing technologies. She has been the Expedition Medic for Roz Savage and currently Lia Ditton.
Clinically, Dr. combines skills in Orthopaedics, Physical Therapy, Exercise Physiology and Health Technology to provide comprehensive musculoskeletal care as Founder/fDirector of the UCSF Skeletal Health Service. Dr. completed her MS and MD at UC Davis, Orthopaedic Surgery Residency at Stanford, and Fellowships (Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine) in the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery and Boston Children’s Hospital.