Pediatric Clinical Research
The UCSF Division of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery has 10 fellowship-trained physicians working at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital, Oakland and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital, San Francisco with satellite offices throughout the Bay Area. We strive to provide comprehensive care of all musculoskeletal conditions in children and young adults, to lead in medical education, and to advance our field through fundamental and enduring research.
POSNA: Best Clinical Paper 2019: Two-Year Functional Outcomes of Operative vs. Non-Operative Treatment of Completely Displaced Clavicle Fractures in Adolescents: Results from the Prospective, Multicenter, Level 2 ‘Facts’ Study
Benton Heyworth, MD; Andrew Pennock, MD; Ying Li, MD; Leslie Kalish; Brittany Dragonetti, BA; Henry Ellis, MD; Jeffrey Nepple, MD; Samuel Willimon, MD; David Spence, MD; Nirav Pandya, MD; Mininder Kocher, MD, MPH; Eric Edmonds, MD; Philip Wilson, MD; Michael Busch, MD; Coleen Sabatini, MD, MPH; Donald Bae, MD Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston, MA
POSNA: Micro Grant Recipient 2019: Observership Opportunities in Pediatric Orthopaedics for Surgeons from Low-and-Middle Income Countries: Perceived Barriers and Impact
Sanjeev Sabharwal, MD, MPH; Laura Carrillo
Current Projects (Individual Faculty Projects Listed Alphabetically)
Assessing the Prevalence of Bullying in Pediatric Orthopaedic Patients.
Dr. Livingston, Dr. Brar, Dr. De Borja, Dr. Delgado, Dr. Diab, Dr. Jagodzinski, Dr. Pandya, Dr. Sabatini, Dr. Sabharwal, and Dr. Swarup
A Video-Based Intervention to Improve Pediatric Orthopaedic Education and Informed Consent in Children with Operative Supracondylar Humerus Fractures
Dr. Sabatini, Dr. Brar, Dr. Jagodzinski, Dr. Pandya, Dr. Sabharwal, and Dr. Swarup
Multi-Center Pin Site Infection Study**
Dr. Sabharwal, Dr. Jagodzinski,and Dr. Livingston
Cerebral Palsy: Risk Factors for Readmission After Surgery
Dr. Brar and Dr. Diab
Cerebral Palsy: Distribution of Operative Treatment in Children versus Adults
Dr. Brar and Dr. Diab
Cerebral Palsy Research Network (CPRN) Patient Registry
Dr. Brar, Dr. Bartlett, Dr. Ostling, and Dr. Jagodzinski
Accessing the Electronic Health Record Paediatric Orthopaedics: Preferences and Experiences of Teens versus Parents
Dr. Diab and Dr. Pandya
Risk Factors For Post-Operative Urinary Tract Infections in Children After Orthopaedic Surgery: A NSQIP Study
Dr. Livingston and Dr. Brar
Surgeon Satisfaction and Burnout Among UCSF Orthopaedic Faculty
Dr. Livingston and Dr. Diab
Is Elbow Immobilization Necessary for Pediatric Traumatic Elbow Effusions Without Fracture Line? Randomized Controlled Trial of Cast vs No Cast in X-ray and X-ray Tomography Negative Injuries
Dr. Livingston, Dr. Diab, and Dr. Roddy
Multi-Center Adolescent Clavicle Shaft Fracture Registry**
Dr. Pandya and Dr. Sabatini
Impact of Early Recovery After Surgery program on children recovering from surgery for idiopathic scoliosis
Dr. Shibata (Department of Anaesthesia), Dr. Cheng, and Dr. Diab
Patient Attitudes Regarding Simultaneous Cervical Spine Surgery
Dr. Theologis and Dr. Diab
Improving Coping Skills in Children After Spine Surgery
Dr. Gornitzky and Dr. Diab
Anterior Approach to Thoracic Spine: Novel Incision and Patient Satisfaction
Cost Analysis of Anterior Approach to Spine versus Posterior Approach to Spine
Risk Factors for Post-Operative Urinary Tract Infections in Children After Surgery: a NSQIP Study
X-ray Tomography: Cadaver Elbow Fractures Study
The Impact of Patient Education in the Pre-Operative Holding Area on Post-Operative Opioid Use in Elective Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery**
Epidemiology of Pediatric and Adolescent Sports Participation**
Comparison of Hamstring versus Bone Tendon Bone Autograft in ACL Reconstruction Patients**
Risk of Growth Disturbance and Re-Tear Rates After Partial Transphyseal ACL Reconstruction**
Impact of Insurance Status on Access to Care for Pediatric Meniscal Injuries**
Impact of Insurance Status on Outcomes After Pediatric Shoulder Stabilization Surgery**
Impact of Post-Operative Bracing on ACL Kinematics after Skeletally Immature ACL Reconstruction**
Outcomes of Arthroscopic Treatment of Elbow Osteochondral Lesions in Adolescent Athletes**
Outcomes of Remplissage for Adolescent Shoulder Instability Patients**
Impact of Social Media on Patient Perception of Physician Performance**
Non-Invasive Monitoring of Return to Play After ACL Surgery: Kinect**
Dr. Feeley and Dr. Pandya
Return to Play After Patellar Dislocation in the Adolescent Athlete**
Dr. Feeley and Dr. Pandya
Clinical Outcomes for Pediatric Patients with Post-Injection Paralysis
Demographic Differences in Time to Presentation for Treatment of Idiopathic Clubfoot
Outcomes Following Surgical Release of Gluteal Fibrosis in Ugandan Children
Do certain antimalarials and antibiotics have a direct fibrotic effect on muscle cells, contributing to the development of muscle contractures in children?
Dr. Sabatini, Dr. Feeley, and Dr. Liu
A Video-Based Intervention to Improve Pediatric Orthopaedic Education and Informed Consent in Children with Clubfoot
Treatment of intra-articular and extra-articular distal femoral fractures using the SIGN nail at Kumi Orthopaedic Center
Dr. Sabatini and Dr. Curran
Supracondylar Humerus Fracture Treatement in Resource-Limited Environments: A Systematic Literature Review
Access to Orthopaedic Care for Spanish Speaking Patients in California
Access to Follow up Care for Traumatic Orthopaedic Injuries for Rural Children in Northern California
Access to Pediatric Orthopaedic Care for Children with Operative Supracondylar Humerus Fractures in Northern California
Impact of Time to Operating Room on the Management and Outcomes of Pediatric Supracondylar Humerus and Femoral Shaft Fractures
A Multicenter Study Group for Pediatric Limb Deformity
Motivations and impact of international rotations for orthopaedic residents: Is there concordance in perceptions amongst stakeholders at academic centers in North America and their partners in Low and Middle-income countries?
Psychometric Properties of the Gait Outcomes Assessment List for Children with Limb Deformities (GOAL-LD)
Improved Orthopaedic Pre-surgical Planning Using 3D Augmented Reality Models
Dr. Livingston, Dr. Diab, Dr. Jagodzinski, Dr. Brar, Dr. Sabatini, and Dr. Pandya, and Dr. Courtier (Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging)
Distal Junctional Kyphosis After Posterior Spine Surgery in Children
Post-Injection Injury in Ugandan Children – Determining the Scope of the Problem Through a Cluster-Based Sampling Study
Injection Risk Analysis for Ugandan Children with Gluteal Fibrosis and Acute Flaccid Paralysis**
Pediatric Orthopaedic Outcomes Instrument Validation in Healthy Ugandan Children and Children Affected by Gluteal Fibrosis and Post-Injection Paralysis
Outcomes of Vascularised Free Fibula Flaps for Reconstruction of Segmental Bone Defects at CoRSU Rehabilitation Hospital
Tuberculosis Osteomyelitis of Long Bones in Children and Adolescents: A Five-Year Clinical Study in Uganda
Observership Opportunities in North America for International Orthopaedic Surgeons: Perceived Barriers and Impact
Dr. Sabharwal and Laura Carrillo
SLIP Registry: SCFE Longitudinal Interntional Prospective Registry
**Indicates Projects Open to Medical Student and Resident Engagement
Please contact Laura Carrillo (email@example.com) for further information on these and other ongoing projects.
- Sabharwal S, Verhulst S, Guirguis G, Kark JD, Labat C, Roche NE, Martimucci K, Patel K, Heller DS, Kimura M, Chuang D. Telomere length dynamics in early life: the blood-and-muscle model. The FASEB Journal. 2018 Jan;32(1):529-34.
- Pennock AT, Edmonds EW, Bae DS, Kocher MS, Li Y, Farley FA, Ellis HB, Wilson PL, Nepple J, Gordon JE, Willimon SC, Busch MT, Spence DD, Kelly DM, Pandya NK, Sabatini CS, Shea KG, Heyworth BE. Adolescent clavicle nonunions: potential risk factors and surgical management. Journal of shoulder and elbow surgery. 2018 Jan 1;27(1):29-35.
- Livingston KS, Meehan III WP, Hresko MT, Matheney TH, Shore BJ. Acute exertional compartment syndrome in young athletes: A descriptive case series and review of the literature. Pediatric emergency care. 2018 Feb 1;34(2):76-80
- Rugg C, Kadoor A, Feeley BT, Pandya NK. The Effects of Playing Multiple High School Sports on National Basketball Association Players’ Propensity for Injury and Athletic Performance. The American journal of sports medicine. 2018 Feb;46(2):402-8.
- Swarup I, Penny CL, Dodwell ER. Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip: An Update on Diagnosis and Management from Birth to 6 Months. Current Opinions in Pediatrics. 2018 Feb 1;30(1):84-92.
- Theologis AA, Crawford M, Diab M, Spinal Deformity Study Group. Ethnic Variation in Satisfaction and Appearance Concerns in Adolescents With Idiopathic Scoliosis Undergoing Posterior Spinal Fusion With Instrumentation. Spine deformity. 2018 Mar 1;6(2):148-55.
- Khanna K, Janghala A, Pandya NK. Use of Posterior Hamstring Harvest During Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in the Pediatric and Adolescent Population. Orthopaedic journal of sports medicine. 2018 Jun 6;6(6):2325967118775597.
- Bryant J, Markes A, Woolridge T, Cerruti D, Dzeng E, Koenig B, Diab M. Concurrent and Overlapping Surgery: Perspectives from Parents of Adolescents Undergoing Spinal Posterior Instrumented Fusion for Idiopathic Scoliosis. Spine. 2018 Jun.
- Patterson JT, Tangtiphaiboontana J, Pandya NK. Management of Pediatric Femoral Neck Fracture. JAAOS-Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2018 Jun 15;26(12):411-9.
- Bryant J, Pandya N. Medial patellofemoral ligament repair restores stability in pediatric patients when compared to reconstruction. The Knee. 2018 Jun 15.
- Mishra S, DeMuth S, Sabharwal S, Watts HG, Lentz KK, Huber M, Kembhavi G. Disability and rehabilitation in Tajikistan: development of a multisectoral national programme to leave no one behind. Public Health Panorama, World Health Organization (WHO). 2018 Jun:202-9
- Blumberg TJ, DeFrancesco CJ, Miller DJ, Pandya NK, Flynn JM, Baldwin KD. Firearm-associated Fractures in Children and Adolescents: Trends in the United States 2003-2012. Journal of pediatric orthopedics. 2018 Aug.
- Alves K, Penny N, Kobusingye O, Olupot R, Katz JN, Sabatini CS. Paediatric musculoskeletal disease in Kumi District, Uganda: a cross-sectional survey. International orthopaedics. 2018 Aug:1-7
- Pandya NK, Wustrack R, Metz L, Ward D. Current Concepts in Orthopaedic Care Disparities. The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2018 Aug.
- Swarup I, Lee YY, Chiu YF, Sutherland R, Shields M, Figgie MP. Implant Survival and Patient-Reported Outcomes After Total Hip Arthroplasty in Young Patients. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2018 Sep 1;39(9):2893-8
- Udogwu UN, Sabatini CS. Vertical patellar dislocation: A pediatric case report and review of the literature. Orthopedic reviews. 2018 Sep 5;10(3).
- Sabharwal S, Sabharwal S. Growth plate injuries of the lower extremity: Case examples and lessons learned. Indian journal of orthopaedics. 2018 Sept;52(5):462.
- Alves K, Penny N, Ekure J, Olupot R, Kobusingye O, Katz JN, Sabatini CS. Burden of gluteal fibrosis and post-injection paralysis in the children of Kumi District in Uganda. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2018 Sept 24;19(1):343.
- Kaiser P, Livingston K, Miller PE, May C, Mahan S. Radiographic Evaluation of First Metatarsal and Medial Cuneiform Morphology in Juvenile Hallux Valgus. Foot & Ankle International. 2018 Oct:1071100718789696.
- Lau BC, Vashon T, Janghala A, Pandya NK. The Sensitivity and Specificity of Preoperative History, Physical Examination, and Magnetic Resonance Imaging to Predict Articular Cartilage Injuries in Symptomatic Discoid Lateral Meniscus. Journal of pediatric orthopaedics. 2018 Oct 1;38(9):e501-6.
- Wassef DW, Holler JT, Pinner A, Challa S, Xiong M, Zhao C, Sabharwal S. Perceptions of Orthopaedic Volunteers and Their Local Hosts in Low-and Middle-Income Countries: Are We on the Same Page?. Journal of orthopaedic trauma. 2018 Oct 1;32:S29-34.
- Rauck RC, Swarup I, Chang B, Dines DM, Warren RF, Gulotta LV, Henn III RF. Effect of Preoperative Patient Expectations on Outcomes After Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2018 Nov 1;27(11):e323-9.
- Alves K, Godwin CL, Chen A, Akellot D, Katz JN, Sabatini CS. Gluteal fibrosis, post-injection paralysis, and related injection practices in Uganda: a qualitative analysis. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018 Nov 26; 18(1):892
- Choi DE, Vives MJ, Shah H, Zhao C, Patel A, Sabharwal S. Do postoperative drain volumes correlate with intraoperative blood loss and postoperative transfusion requirements in posterior spinal fusion for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis?. Journal of pediatric orthopedics. Part B. 2018 Nov.
- Swarup I, Silberman J, Blanco J, Widmann R. Incidence of Intraspinal and Extraspinal MRI Abnormalities in Patients with Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Spine Deformity. 2019 Jan 1;7(1):47-52.
- Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery, Wright N. Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery: A Model of Global Collaboration to Advance the Surgical Care of Children. World Journal of Surgery. 2019 Jan 8.
- Kisa P, Grabski D, Ozgediz D, Ajiko M, Aspide R, Baird R, Barker G, Birabwa-Male D, Blair G, Cameron B, Cheung M, Cigliano B, Cunningham D, D’Agostino S, Duffy D, Evans F, Fitzgerald TN, Galiwango G, Gerolmini D, Gerolmini M, Kakembo N, Kambugu JB, Lakhoo K, Langer M, Muhumuza MF, Muzira A, Nabukenya MT, Naik-Mathuria B, Nakku D, Nankuna J, Ogwang M, Okello I, Penny N, Reimer E, Sabatini C, Sekabira J, Situma M, Ssenyonga P, Tumukunde J, Villalona G. Unifying Children’s Surgery and Anesthesia Stakeholders across Institutions and Clinical Disciplines: Challenges and Solutions from Uganda. World Journal of Surgery. 2019 Jan7:1-5.
- Cruz Jr AI, Raducha JE, Swarup I, Fu M, Dodwell E, Fabricant PD. Efficacy pf Antifibrinolytics in Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Jounral of Pediatrics Orthopedics. Part B. 2019 Feb.
- Fan B, Zhao C, Sabharwal S. Risk factors for failure of temporary hemiepiphysiodesis in Blount disease: A Systematic Review. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics B. 2019 Feb 6.
- Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery. Optimal Resources for Children's Surgical Care: Executive Summary. World Journal of Surgery. 2019 Feb 6. (Sabatini)
- Kammen BF, Padua EM, Karakas SP, Hagar RW, Hitt DM, Pandya NK, Chung T. Clinical experience with two-point mDixon turbo spin echo as an alternative to conventional turbo spin echo for magnetic resonance imaging of the pediatric knee. Pediatric radiology. 2019 Feb 6:1-0.
- Gaudsen EB, Brusalis CM, Qudsi RA, Swarup I, Fu M, Dodwell E, Fabricant PD. Efficacy of Antifibrinolytics in Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. Part B. 2019 Feb.
- Alves K, Katz JN, Sabatini CS. Gluteal Fibrosis and Its Surgical Treatment. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2019 Feb 20.
- Pandya NK. Adolescent Clavicle Fractures: Is There a Role for Open Reduction and Internal Fixation. Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine. 2019 Mar:1-5.
- Rai R, Sabharwal S. Availability and Quality of Online Information on Sub-Internships in US Orthopaedic Residency Programs. JBJS Open Access. 2019 Mar 27;4(1):e0036.
- Wong SE, Feeley BT, Pandya NK. Comparing Outcomes Between the Over-the-Top and All-Epiphyseal Techniques for Physeal-Sparing ACL Reconstruction: A Narrative Review. Orthopaedic journal of sports medicine. 2019 Mar 28;7(3):2325967119833689.
- Chambers CC, Monroe EJ, Allen CR, Pandya NK. Partial Transphyseal Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: Clinical, Functional, and Radiographic Outcomes. The American journal of sports medicine. 2019 Apr 17:0363546519836423.
- Swarup I, Goodbody C, Gaudsen E, Mintz D, Scher D, Windmann R. Evaluating the Use of an Electronic Inclinometer in Correcting Rotational Disorders of the Hip in Children. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma. 2019 May 1;10(3):609-14.
- Swarup I, Luhmann S, Woiczik M, Sankar WN. Eight Years of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Fellowship Match: What Have We Learned?. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2019 May.
- Khanna K, Sabharwal S. Spinal Tuberculosis: A Comprehensive Review For The Modern Spine Surgeon. The Spine Journal. 2019 May 15.
- Goldhaber NH, Goldin AN, Pennock AT, Livingston K, Bae DS, Yen YM, Shore BJ, Kramer DE, Jagodzinski JE, Heyworth BE. Orthopedic Injuries Associated with Hoverboard Use in Children: A Multi-center Analysis. HSS Journal®.:1-5.
- Nguyen JC, Dorfman SR, Rigsby CK, Iyer RS, Alazraki AL, Anupindi SA, Bardo DM, Brown BP, Chan SS, Chandra T, Garber MD. ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip-Child. Journal of the American College of Radiology. 2019 May 1;16(5):S94-103. (Pandya)
- Zhao C, Starke M, Tompson JD, Sabharwal S. Predictors for Nonaccidental Trauma in a Child With a Fracture-A National Inpatient Database Study. The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2019 Jun.
- Wong SE, Feeley BT, Pandya NK. Complications After Pediatric ACL Reconstruction: A Meta-Analysis. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 2019 Jun 7.
- Lau BC, Jagodzinski J, Pandya NK. Incidence of Symptomatic Pulmonary Embolus and Deep Vein Thrombosis After Knee Arthroscopy in the Pediatric and Adolescent Population. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. 2019 Jul 1;29(4):276-80.
- Rauck RC, Swarup I, Chang B, Ruzbarsky JJ, Dines DM, Warren RF, Henn III RF, Gulotta LV. Preoperative Patient Expectations of Elective Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2019 Jul 1;28(7):1217-22.
- Kahlenberg CA, Swarup I, Krell EC, Heinz N, Figgie MP. Causes of Revision in Young Patients Undergoing Total Hip Arthroplasty. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2019 Jul 1;34(7):1435-40.
- Swarup I, Henn CM, Gulotta LV, Henn III RF. Patient Expectations and Satisfaction in Orthopaedic Surgery: A Review of the Literature. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma. 2019 Jul 1;10(4):755-60.
- Knapik DM, Buschbach J, Sabharwal S, Liu RW. Hemiepiphysiodesis for Idiopathic Genu Valgum Using Physeal Staples Versus Tension-Band Plating: A Systematic Review. Orthopedics. 2019 Jul 29.
- Curran PF, Albright P, Ibrahim JM, Ali SH, Shearer DW, Sabatini CS. Practice Patterns for Management of Pediatric Femur Fractures in Low-and Middle-Income Countries. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 2019 Aug 14.
- Livingston KS, Kalish LA, Bae DS, Kim YJ, Shore BJ. Wash, Rinse, Repeat: Which Patients Undergo Serial Joint Irrigation in Pediatric Septic Hip Arthritis?. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 2019 Aug 1;39(7):e494-9.
- Greene N, Fuentes-Juarez B, Sabatini CS. Access to Orthopaedic Care for Spanish Speaking Patients in California. JBJS. 2019 Sept 18;101(18):e95.