Melissa Zimel, MD
|University of California||2018|
|Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center||07/2015|
|William Beaumont Hospital||06/2013|
|MD||Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine||05/2008|
|BA||University of Southern California||05/2004|
- von Mehren M, Kane JM, Bui MM, Choy E, Connelly M, Dry S, Ganjoo KN, George S, Gonzalez RJ, Heslin MJ, Homsi J, Keedy V, Kelly CM, Kim E, Liebner D, McCarter M, McGarry SV, Meyer C, Pappo AS, Parkes AM, Paz IB, Petersen IA, Poppe M, Riedel RF, Rubin B, Schuetze S, Shabason J, Sicklick JK, Spraker MB, Zimel M, Bergman MA, George GV. NCCN Guidelines Insights: Soft Tissue Sarcoma, Version 1.2021. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2020 12 02; 18(12):1604-1612. PMID: 33285515
- Ramezanpour S, Horvai AE, Zimel M, Bucknor M, Link TM. Fibroma-like perivascular epithelioid cell tumor: a rare case in a long bone. Skeletal Radiol. 2020 Sep 18. PMID: 32944815
- Zaid M, Chavez MR, Carrasco AE, Zimel MN, Zhang AL, Horvai AE, Link TM, O'Donnell RJ. Cutibacterium (formerly Propionibacterium) acnes clavicular infection. J Bone Jt Infect. 2019; 4(1):40-49. PMID: 30755847
- Loy BN, Zimel M, Gowda AL, Tooley TR, Maerz T, Bicos J, Guettler J. A Biomechanical and Structural Comparison of Articular Cartilage and Subchondral Bone of the Glenoid and Humeral Head. Orthop J Sports Med. 2018 Jul; 6(7):2325967118785854. PMID: 30046634
- Weiss KR, Zimel MN. Considerations for the Long Term Treatment of Pediatric Sarcoma Survivors. Indian J Orthop. 2018 Jan-Feb; 52(1):77-80. PMID: 29416174
- Zimel MN, Horowitz CB, Rajasekhar VK, Christ AB, Wei X, Wu J, Wojnarowicz PM, Wang D, Goldring SR, Purdue PE, Healey JH. HPMA-Copolymer Nanocarrier Targets Tumor-Associated Macrophages in Primary and Metastatic Breast Cancer. . 2017 Dec; 16(12):2701-2710. PMID: 28830983
- Nakajima K, Kho DH, Yanagawa T, Zimel M, Heath E, Hogan V, Raz A. Galectin-3 in bone tumor microenvironment: a beacon for individual skeletal metastasis management. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2016 Jun; 35(2):333-46. PMID: 27067726
- Zimel MN, Farfalli GL, Zindman AM, Riedel ER, Morris CD, Boland PJ, Healey JH. Revision Distal Femoral Arthroplasty With the Compress(®) Prosthesis Has a Low Rate of Mechanical Failure at 10 Years. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016 Feb; 474(2):528-36. PMID: 26394638
- Zimel MN, Hwang S, Riedel ER, Healey JH. Carbon fiber intramedullary nails reduce artifact in postoperative advanced imaging. Skeletal Radiol. 2015 Sep; 44(9):1317-25. PMID: 25982252
- Budge MD, Moravek JE, Zimel MN, Nolan EM, Wiater JM. Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty for the management of failed shoulder arthroplasty with proximal humeral bone loss: is allograft augmentation necessary? J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2013 Jun; 22(6):739-44. PMID: 23021901
Grants & Awards
Membership & Committees
About Melissa Zimel, MD
Dr. Melissa Zimel is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of children and adults with bone and soft tissue tumors and tumor-like conditions.As an orthopaedic oncologist, Dr. Zimel is trained to evaluate and manage benign and malignant neoplastic and non-neoplastic diseases of the extremities, pelvis, and trunk.
Dr. Zimel is trained in complex joint reconstruction with custom implants for patients requiring removal of a cancerous bone tumor. She also treats patients with metastatic bone cancer, performing fixation of impending pathologic fractures.Dr. Zimel is an active researcher who is focused on optimizing clinical outcomes in musculoskeletal oncology conditions, including primary and secondary malignancies, in both limb salvage and amputation patients.
Dr. Zimel grew up in Portland, Oregon, where she attended Jesuit High School. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Southern California. She received her M.D. degree from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, and she completed her residency in orthopaedic surgery at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan. She then completed two additional years of fellowship training in orthopaedic oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. Dr. Zimel then joined the Sarcoma Oncology Multidisciplinary Team at the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute in Detroit, where she served as an Assistant Professor of Oncology at Wayne State University.
Additionally, Dr. Zimel is a member of the UCSF Sarcoma Center, a multidisciplinary team of sarcoma specialists who provide patients with the most precise diagnostic tools, novel surgical and reconstructive techniques, and promising new therapies. Learn more: https://sarcoma.ucsf.edu/.
Dr. Zimel’s office will be at the Ron Conway Family Gateway Medical Building, located at the UCSF Mission Bay campus in San Francisco.