Coleen Sabatini, MD, MPH
Coleen Sabatini, MD, MPH
|University of California||2019|
|Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery Fellowship||Children's Hospital Los Angeles||2010|
|Orthopaedic Surgery Residency||Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program||2009|
|Master of Public Health||Harvard University||2004|
|BS||University of California, San Diego||1997|
- Challa S, Agarwal-Harding KJ, Levy P, Barr-Walker J, Sabatini CS. Supracondylar humerus fractures in low- and lower middle-income countries: a scoping review of the current epidemiology, treatment modalities, and outcomes. Int Orthop. 2020 11; 44(11):2443-2448. PMID: 32691122
- Ellis HB, Li Y, Bae DS, Kalish LA, Wilson PL, Pennock AT, Nepple JJ, Willimon SC, Spence DD, Pandya NK, Kocher MS, Edmonds EW, Farley FA, Gordon JE, Kelly DM, Busch MT, Sabatini CS, Heyworth BE. Descriptive Epidemiology of Adolescent Clavicle Fractures: Results From the FACTS (Function after Adolescent Clavicle Trauma and Surgery) Prospective, Multicenter Cohort Study. Orthop J Sports Med. 2020 May; 8(5):2325967120921344. PMID: 32528990
- Curran PF, Albright P, Ibrahim JM, Ali SH, Shearer DW, Sabatini CS. Practice Patterns for Management of Pediatric Femur Fractures in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. J Pediatr Orthop. 2020 May/Jun; 40(5):251-258. PMID: 31425401
- Greene NE, Fuentes-Juárez BN, Sabatini CS. Access to Orthopaedic Care for Spanish-Speaking Patients in California. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019 Sep 18; 101(18):e95. PMID: 31567810
- Global Initiative for Children's Surgery: A Model of Global Collaboration to Advance the Surgical Care of Children. World J Surg. 2019 06; 43(6):1416-1425. PMID: 30623232
- Kisa P, Grabski DF, Ozgediz D, Ajiko M, Aspide R, Baird R, Barker G, Birabwa-Male D, Blair G, Cameron B, Cheung M, Cigliano B, Cunningham D, D'Agostino S, Duffy D, Evans F, Fitzgerald TN, Galiwango G, Gerolmini D, Gerolmini M, Kakembo N, Kambugu JB, Lakhoo K, Langer M, Muhumuza MF, Muzira A, Nabukenya MT, Naik-Mathuria B, Nakku D, Nankunda J, Ogwang M, Okello I, Penny N, Reimer E, Sabatini C, Sekabira J, Situma M, Ssenyonga P, Tumukunde J, Villalona G. Unifying Children's Surgery and Anesthesia Stakeholders Across Institutions and Clinical Disciplines: Challenges and Solutions from Uganda. World J Surg. 2019 06; 43(6):1435-1449. PMID: 30617561
- Optimal Resources for Children's Surgical Care: Executive Summary. World J Surg. 2019 Apr; 43(4):978-980. PMID: 30725368
- Alves K, Katz JN, Sabatini CS. Gluteal Fibrosis and Its Surgical Treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019 Feb 20; 101(4):361-368. PMID: 30801376
- Alves K, Godwin CL, Chen A, Akellot D, Katz JN, Sabatini CS. Gluteal fibrosis, post-injection paralysis, and related injection practices in Uganda: a qualitative analysis. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018 Nov 26; 18(1):892. PMID: 30477506
- Alves K, Penny N, Ekure J, Olupot R, Kobusingye O, Katz JN, Sabatini CS. Burden of gluteal fibrosis and post-injection paralysis in the children of Kumi District in Uganda. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2018 Sep 24; 19(1):343. PMID: 30249239
- Udogwu UN, Sabatini CS. Vertical patellar dislocation: A pediatric case report and review of the literature. Orthop Rev (Pavia). 2018 Sep 05; 10(3):7688. PMID: 30370035
- Alves K, Penny N, Kobusingye O, Olupot R, Katz JN, Sabatini CS. Paediatric musculoskeletal disease in Kumi District, Uganda: a cross-sectional survey. Int Orthop. 2018 08; 42(8):1967-1973. PMID: 29610937
- Pennock AT, Edmonds EW, Bae DS, Kocher MS, Li Y, Farley FA, Ellis HB, Wilson PL, Nepple J, Gordon JE, Willimon SC, Busch MT, Spence DD, Kelly DM, Pandya NK, Sabatini CS, Shea KG, Heyworth BE. Adolescent clavicle nonunions: potential risk factors and surgical management. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2018 Jan; 27(1):29-35. PMID: 28844421
- Goodman LF, St-Louis E, Yousef Y, Cheung M, Ure B, Ozgediz D, Ameh EA, Bickler S, Poenaru D, Oldham K, Farmer D, Lakhoo K. The Global Initiative for Children's Surgery: Optimal Resources for Improving Care. Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2018 Feb; 28(1):51-59. PMID: 28806850
- O'Shea RM, Sabatini CS. What is new in idiopathic clubfoot? Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2016 Dec; 9(4):470-477. PMID: 27696325
- Theologis AA, Anaya A, Sabatini C, Sucato DJ, Parent S, Erickson M, Diab M. Surgical Consent of Children and Guardians for the Treatment of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis is Incompletely Informed. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2016 Jan; 41(1):53-61. PMID: 26335670
- Heffernan MJ, Gordon JE, Sabatini CS, Keeler KA, Lehmann CL, O'Donnell JC, Seehausen DA, Luhmann SJ, Arkader A. Treatment of femur fractures in young children: a multicenter comparison of flexible intramedullary nails to spica casting in young children aged 2 to 6 years. J Pediatr Orthop. 2015 Mar; 35(2):126-9. PMID: 25105984
- Sabatini CS, Curtis TA, Mahan ST. Patient-based outcomes after tibia fracture in children and adolescents. Open Orthop J. 2014; 8:41-8. PMID: 24627732
Grants & Awards
Membership & Committees
About Coleen Sabatini, MD, MPH
Dr. Coleen Sabatini is a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon based at the UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of California, San Diego where she studied biology and dance. She then moved to Boston to obtain her Doctorate of Medicine (MD) and Masters of Public Health (MPH) from Harvard Medical School and the Harvard School of Public Health, respectively. She served as an Intern in General Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and then completed her residency training in Orthopaedic Surgery at the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program. She served as Chief Resident in her last year of residency and as Editor of "The Orthopaedic Journal" at Harvard Medical School for four years. Dr. Sabatini completed her fellowship training in Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. Having been a dancer for most of her pre-medical life, Dr. Sabatini's passion for caring for children with orthopaedic problems is based in her own history of orthopaedic injuries and a commitment to helping others live an active and healthy life.
After joining the UCSF faculty in 2010, Dr. Sabatini became the Director and Chief of the Division of Orthopaedic Surgery at Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland in 2012. She served in these roles for over 7 years until 2019 when she transitioned away from leadership at BCHO to focus on her primary passion - global health, particularly in Uganda, and now serves as the Director of Global Surgery for the Division of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery. She has taught and worked in numerous countries including Uganda, Nepal, Philippines, and the Dominican Republic.
Dr. Sabatini provides care at BCHO’s main hospital in Oakland as well as the Ambulatory Center in Walnut Creek. Her clinical focus includes a wide range of pediatric orthopaedic care including pediatric trauma/fractures, clubfoot and other pediatric foot and limb deformities, limb length discrepancies, scoliosis, and dance medicine.
Dr. Sabatini's research focuses on global health, pediatric trauma prevention and treatment, clinical outcomes, health disparities, and improving access to care for children with musculoskeletal conditions, particularly for children in low-resource environments. Dr. Sabatini’s international work is focused on education and capacity-building in low-resource settings. She heads a pediatric orthopaedic research program in Uganda and serves at the Principle Investigator on multiple projects including the Uganda Post-injection Disability Prevention and Treatment Program.