Aenor Sawyer, MD
|M.D.||University of California Davis||1993|
- Lansdown DA, Whitaker A, Wustrack R, Sawyer A, Hansen EN. A Resident-led Initiative Improves Screening and Treatment for Vitamin D Deficiency in Patients with Hip Fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017 Jan; 475(1):264-270. PMID: 27549989
- Wolf JM, Cannada LK, Lane JM, Sawyer AJ, Ladd AL. A comprehensive overview of osteoporotic fracture treatment. Instr Course Lect. 2015; 64:25-36. PMID: 25745892
- Schairer WW, Carrer A, Deviren V, Hu SS, Takemoto S, Mummaneni P, Chou D, Ames C, Burch S, Tay B, Sawyer A, Berven SH. Hospital readmission after spine fusion for adult spinal deformity. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Sep 01; 38(19):1681-9. PMID: 23698572
- Fung EB, Gariepy CA, Sawyer AJ, Higa A, Vichinsky EP. The effect of whole body vibration therapy on bone density in patients with thalassemia: a pilot study. Am J Hematol. 2012 Oct; 87(10):E76-9. PMID: 22886910
- Metz LN, Wustrack R, Lovell AF, Sawyer AJ. Infectious, inflammatory, and metabolic diseases affecting the athlete's spine. Clin Sports Med. 2012 Jul; 31(3):535-67. PMID: 22658001
- Fung EB, Vichinsky EP, Kwiatkowski JL, Huang J, Bachrach LK, Sawyer AJ, Zemel BS. Characterization of low bone mass in young patients with thalassemia by DXA, pQCT and markers of bone turnover. Bone. 2011 Jun 01; 48(6):1305-12. PMID: 21443975
- Plotkin H, Sawyer A, Bachrach L. Mind your T's and Z's. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003 Jul; 85-A(7):1390-1. PMID: 12851367
- Sawyer A, Moore S, Fielding KT, Nix DA, Kiratli J, Bachrach LK. Calcaneus ultrasound measurements in a convenience sample of healthy youth. J Clin Densitom. 2001; 4(2):111-20. PMID: 11477304
Grants & Awards
Membership & Committees
About Aenor Sawyer, MD
Dr. Sawyer combines her skills in Orthopaedics, Physical Therapy, Exercise Physiology and Health Technology to provide comprehensive skeletal health care. She founded and directs the UCSF Skeletal Health Service which provides bone health care across the lifespan. She co-founded the first Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery Fellowship. She founded and co-directs the Pediatric Bone Health Consortium and is editor/author for textbooks in pediatric bone health assessment.
Dr. Sawyer has dedicated a significant portion of her career to developing transformative healthcare solutions. She has more than a decade of Health Technology experience in development and evaluation of device, digital health, Telehealth, and EHR solutions. In addition to her clinical work in Skeletal Health she guides development and translation of novel technologies at UCSF. She serves on the UCOP Telehealth Taskforce and develops digitization strategies in the UCSF Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery leading the Health Innovation and Technology in Ortho (HITO) committee. Broader strategic roles include the External Advisory Board member of the Scripps Translational Sciences Institute with Eric Topol, Global Health Advisory Board of Cisco, Chair of International Health Technology Advisory Board for Murdoch Children's Research Institute in Melbourne, and Editorial Board member of npj Digital Medicine Journal.
Dr. Sawyer served as a founding member of the UCSF Center for Digital Health Innovation in which she was Associate Director of Strategic Relations for 3 years. She co-founded and led for 4 years the Digital Health track in the Catalyst Accelerator in the CTSI. She serves on the Digital Health review committee for RAP Grant and is on the UCOP Governance Taskforce for Telehealth, the UCSF Telemedicine Committee and was a member of the NIH CTSA Telehealth TSIG. She is Faculty Advisor to the UCSF Health Tech Interest Group (HTIG) and the inter-professional Health Tech Elective. She has been a faculty advisor to the UCSF Pediatric Device Consortium and project director for Roboimplant. She has been an advisor to Surgical Innovation Committee and the Center for Disruptive Musculoskeletal Innovation.
In 2011 Dr. Sawyer co-founded (with Pierre Theodore) the Trinity System, a HIPAA compliant, web-based collaboration technology for virtual Tumor Board and multidisciplinary management (MDM) of complex patients. Dr. Sawyer also co-founded MOBI-US, a safe independent mobility device. Prior to joining UCSF she co-developed (with Archinoetics) WEARHUB, a wearable human performance center. As an Expedition Medic for world-record ocean rowers, she employs communication and sensing technologies to provide remote medical coverage. She has also served as an Advisor to Startup Health, Rock Health, Doximity, Epocrates, and early-stage digital health startups.
She completed her MS and MD at UC Davis, her Orthopaedic Surgery Residency at Stanford and her Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine Fellowships in the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery and Boston Children’s Hospital.